How To Get A Job In Indian Railways: Indian Railways is one of the most popular and sought-after job sector in India. Every year thousands of vacancies are opened in the various sectors of railway. Many of the job-seekers want to work for the railways but miss out the opportunity due to lack of proper preparation. Sometimes fraudsters lure people by offering them a job in railways for their money. If you’re also one of the contenders who are looking for a job in railways, then cheer up. Because, here we are going to explain the right process to get a job in Indian Railways.
I have passed class 12th. Can I Join Indian Railways?
Freshers who have passed their 12th and want to work can apply for various jobs in Indian Railways. They can apply for non-technical jobs which come under the Group-D. Lower Division Clerk, Railway Ticket Collector, Station Master, Railway Constable, Railway Constable, Railway clerk, Trackmen, Helpers, Store Keeper are some of the jobs for which a 12th passed candidate can opt for.
How To Join Indian Railways After Graduation?
Some people want to study more after passing out 12th standard and want to work only after graduation. Indian Railways provides many opportunities for such aspirants who want to complete their graduation and work for the railways. Contenders who have completed their graduation can apply for many different posts. These posts are reputable as they require a bachelor’s degree. Engineering graduates can also apply for these posts. Clerk, Station Master, Ticket Collector, Commercial Apprentice, Traffic Apprentice, Engineering posts (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Signal & Telecommunication) and more are the posts that a graduate can apply for.
General Preparation Ideas For Job In Indian Railways
We are providing some general tips to all the aspirants who are willing to work for the Indian Railways. Be it after 12th or graduation, these tips will focus on preparation strategies for a job in railways.
- Check the eligibility: Before starting preparation for any competitive exam for the railway, you should think that are you eligible? Eligibility is generally measured in terms of educational qualification and age limit. For a job in Indian Railways, you should at least have a bachelor’s degree or post graduation. However, in some cases, IR provides vacancies for 10th and 12th pass candidates too. Age limit is one of the restrictions for a job in railways. Check the official notification carefully to know about the age limit criteria for the specific job.
- Get ready for the exam: After checking the eligibility criteria, you should start preparing for the exam. It will be good if you start preparing as early as possible for your dream job in the railways. Get appropriate training by self study or by coaching. To get success in any exam, proper training is required. Use appropriate sources for your study if you’re going with self study.
- Stay updated on railway job opportunities: Indian Railways recruits thousands of personnel in various departments. Don’t miss out this opportunity and keep yourself up to date about jobs in Indian Railways. You should read newspapers regularly because many of the govt. Job notifications are published in newspapers. You can also subscribe to websites like Recruitment360 to get the latest updates about Indian Railways and other govt. Jobs.
- Stay Confident and don’t lose hope: Don’t ever lose hope and believe in yourself. So what if you don’t succeed in the first attempt? Try again harder and make it the next time. Many people get recruited every year. You are not different from them. If they can do it, you can also do it. Just keep your preparations on the track and stay motivated.
What Are The Entrance Exams For Indian Railways?
To get a job in Indian Railways and many other government organisations, you have to clear a series of exams. After clearing the exams you are selected for the interview on the basis of your performance in the exams. You are selected for the job only after you successfully clear the interview rounds. Indian Railway also conducts exams to recruit the best suitable aspirants for various jobs.
- Special Class Railway Apprentice Exam (SCRA): This exam is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission for four years apprenticeship in mechanical engineering at the Indian Railways Institute of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Jamalpur. Students which have cleared their education with either physics or chemistry and mathematics as the main subjects. Minimum percentage is 50% and age limit is between 17-21 years for this exam.
- Railway Officers Exam: There are various exams in this category like Indian Railway Traffic Service (IRTS), Indian Railways Accounts Service (IRAS), Indian Railway Service of Engineers (IRSE), Indian Railway Service of Electrical Engineers (IRSEE), Indian Railway Services of Signal Engineers (IRSSE), Indian Railway Store Service (IRSS), RPF Sub-Inspectors / Constables Examination. For the IRAS exam, candidates need to appear for Civil Services Exam. Engineers can apply for the IRSE exam. Aspirants should have completed their bachelor’s degree from a recognised university and 10+2 from science stream.
Some Details About Various Job Groups In Indian Railways
Railway Group A: Recruitment in Railway Group A is made by UPSC for the candidates who clear the Civil Services Exam. A graduation/post graduation degree is required for Group A railway jobs.
Railway Group B: Jobs in railway Group B is not open to everybody. This is an officer’s grade group and is open to the Group C employees of the Indian Railway. Graduation/post graduation is required for job in this group.
Railway Group C: This group of Indian Railway requires technical and non-technical areas of specialisation. Clerk, Station Master, Ticket Collector, Commercial Apprentice, Traffic Apprentice, Engineering posts (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Signal & Telecommunication) etc. For these posts the eligibility required is: – 10th class pass/12th/Graduation/Diploma/ ITI or equivalent.
Railway Group D: This group of employees requires a minimum class 8th and maximum class 10th pass candidates. Jobs in this group are Trackman, Helper, Assistant Points Man, Safaiwala/Safaiwali, Gunman, Peon and more.
That personnel who clear the railway main exams will be appointed for the jobs in Indian Railways. There is a good pay scale in railways. However, the remuneration is basic at the initial level but it increases with experience and promotion of grades. Candidates preparing for the railways have a very bright future and various benefits over other employees. Hope you liked the information provided on our website. Share with your friends and don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter for more interesting information like this.